Sunday, July 6, 2014

Arranging the Gypsy Wife Quilt

Well the time has come in this process to start figuring out how all these blocks are going to come together. As I mentioned previously, this room has no space for a design wall but this quilt really cannot be put together without some place to arrange the blocks so I assembled my portable design wall. I propped it against some of my stacked wire drawers and, though not ideal, it gets the job done.

Now on to the arrangement of the blocks. It took me over an hour just to figure out where these went. I really wish the block sizes were better marked in the layout diagrams as frankly it took lots and lots of page flipping to get this far.

Once I got those blocks up I realized that It would be best to consider color and fabric balance as the final blocks are made. Again, dimensions and more labeling in the layout diagrams would really help here. It is SO time consuming just trying to figure out what block fills what area even after I have sat down and tried to mark up my pattern.

Anyway, I changed a block as one of the fabrics in the first photo just wasn't working for me. And those two little blocks on the table, still not sure where they belong! So glad I am still loving the fabrics and colors in this one, just wish the pattern was a little more user friendly.

 

10 comments:

antique quilter said...

it looks good so far! keep going!!!
Kathie

Julierose said...

Heather, all those blocks are just lovely! Phew tho' quite another whole job to put them all together--I can see what you mean. But, I am sure inspiration will hit you. hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very colorful and unique - love it!

Bev said...

Those look AWESOME! I think they'll look amazing no matter how you arrange them. I am have a major envy attack over your design wall. What is it made from? Anyway, love your blocks! XO

Karen said...

This looks so much like the quilt I'm working on now. It will be worth it, it's gorgeous.

Karen said...

Oh my goodness. I love a puzzle and this one looks like it would take some studying to get everything in the right place. Well worth the effort in the end, I am sure.

Carla said...

Swoooooon. How big does this end up?

Oops-Lah said...

It does look complicated, but you'll get there in the end. In any case, it looks fantastic already.

audrey said...

So bright and fun looking!

Nonsense Nanna said...

I'm assembling this now and agree that it's badly handled as far as instructions go.